Having glaciers, ice caves, hot springs, and northern lights make Iceland a dream country for many people to vacation. Iceland’s natural beauty is enriched by many lakes.
Iceland’s waters are known for their reflections producing unique colors that blend with the natural volcanic terrain and icy trails. Here you can fish, take photographs, or just relax while enjoying the natural scenery.
If you are visiting Iceland, you can visit the following nine lake tours. Of course to get an unforgettable vacation experience.
- Mývatn Lake formed 2,300 years ago due to volcanic activity. This lake is also the best place for bird watching
- The water comes from melting glaciers, Thórisvatn Lake is known as a habitat for large brown trout
- In addition to its stunning panorama, Hraunsvatn Lake is also popular because it has many mythical creatures beneath its surface
- Jökulsárlón Lake is called ‘The Diamond Beach’ because the pieces of glacier scattered around the lake’s black soil look like diamonds
- Formed by a volcanic eruption 6,000 years ago, Kerið Lake is spherical with turquoise water surrounded by green plains
- Derived from valley tectonics and lava formations, Thingvallavatn Lake was the place where Icelanders first declared their independence
- Selvallavatn Lake surrounded by mossy hills was formed 4,000 years ago from a volcanic eruption
- skjuvatn Lake is a small lake formed in the caldera. It looks more attractive with the clear-colored water
- Lagarfljót Lake is admired for its serene and beautiful atmosphere. The lake is also known as home to the legendary snake Lagarfljótsormurinn
It is common knowledge that Iceland is blessed with stunning nature. One of them you can observe through the lakes that have been mentioned above.
All lakes in Iceland have their uniqueness that makes anyone interested in visiting them. Which lake is your favorite and would you like to visit?