Not Only San Fermin, Here Are 16 Other Attractions In Pamplona, Spain.

Other Attractions In Pamplona, Spain

Pamplona is world famous thanks to Ernest Hemingway who wrote the thrilling Running of the Bulls in his novels. The city is no doubt with its thrilling bull festival, but it has a wonderful history, beautiful architecture, spacious squares, friendly-presenting shops, and cafes.

So, so that you don’t just know about the Running of the Bulls festival, here are places in Pamplona that are no less interesting than Running of the Bulls.

ADVERTISING

  1. Catedral de Pamplona

Pamplona Cathedral is near the Plaza del Castillo just inside the old city walls. The cathedral was built in the 15th century. Inside the cathedral is the venue for the choir created by Miguel de Ancheta. In front of the choir is an alabaster tomb designed by Jean de Lomme (made around 1420) which houses Charles III the Noble and his wife Leonora de Trastamara. On the east side of the monastery is the Capilla Barbazana, which houses the tomb of Cardinal Arnaldo de Barbazán.

  1. Museo de Navarra

The Museo de Navarra is housed in an old pilgrim’s hospital, a beautiful historic building dating from 1556. There are 34 rooms featuring a diverse collection. The museum includes a variety of archaeological and artistic objects such as ancient Roman artifacts, medieval religious paintings, and ancient treasures of the Moors.

Among the highlights are Roman statues, mosaics of the Roman capital, and several paintings. There is also a Moorish heritage coffin dating from the 11th century.

  1. Ciudadela

This 16th-century fort was built during the reign of King Felipe II who commissioned an Italian military engineer to build it. This fort is pentagonal and is also equipped with 5 fortifications, although only three are still intact.

In the 18th century, the fort was converted into a prison that housed famous personalities including the Prince of Floridablanca and the Marquis of Leganés. Currently, the building has several exhibition halls.

  1. Plaza del Castillo

The Plaza del Castillo was used for public events, celebrations, and markets, and served as the stage where the maador games were held until 1844. There are elegant buildings lining the square and there is also a gazebo in the center providing a pleasant shaded place to rest.

In the southwest corner of the square is the Palacio de Navarra built in 1847 and enlarged in 1932 which is now the Diputación Foral (Provincial Council), the seat of the provincial assembly.

  1. Ayuntamiento

Ayuntamiento is a 17th-century town hall building. Ayuntamiento is located northwest of Plaza del Castillo, to be precise Plaza Consistorial. This town hall was built on the site of an old moat, where the city’s 3 defense systems once met. A monument to the symbol of Pamplona is also here.

  1. Iglesia de San Nicolas

Iglesia de San Nicolas is located on Paseo de Sarasate. Built-in the 12th century, the church was originally Romanesque. San Nicolás is the only church in Pamplona that has retained its original Roman structure (this architecture is especially noticeable on the outside).

This fortress-like church historically served as a stronghold for San Nicolás but was largely destroyed during the Castilian Kingdom’s invasion of the city. After the invasion was completed, most of the interior of the church was renovated and the building style was changed to a Gothic style building.